Wednesday, March 13, 2019

Girl From The North Country

Ever since I first laid eyes
on her
I liked her.
But we were just acquaintances
she was my friend’s, friend’s girlfriend.
We didn’t talk a whole lot
but she was always cool to me
and I was cool to her.
After she moved out of state
she came back for a visit
in 2008
one hot Arizona summer
and we ended up hanging out
through mutual friends.
Well, the next night
she asked me, if I wanted to go get a drink.
I could hardly believe it.
I had always  wanted just
a chance
to sit and talk with her
one on one.
And here it was.
Even though I had a casual-nothing-serious-girlfriend at the time
I willingly sacrificed our relationship
for just a shot
a drink.
We hit it off well
so well
we spent the rest of her time in Arizona
together
wrapped up in each other’s arms.
We had a blast.
Talking for hours
smoking weed
drinking Blue Moon’s
laying in bed naked
laughing at dumb shit together
having some of the best sex
just really enjoying ourselves.
And then she was gone.
Back to the Pacific-Northwest
where she called home.
Wasn’t too long after that
and she was shacked up
and eventually
a married woman.
All through the years
we stayed friends on social media
watching the milestones of each other’s lives
passing by with each year.
Ten years go by
and one night
around Christmas
I get a message from her;
“If you like Christmas stuff, you should see my parent’s place. I just got here
and it’s like Christmas threw up all over it.”
She asked me if I was free to
maybe
squeeze in a drink.
Saturday or Sunday
but it ended up being
that very night
a Friday
that we ended up getting together for a drink.
I took her to the G Bar G Lounge
basically,
a senior citizens/snowbird bar
on the outskirts of town.
She drank straight tequila and I sipped at a can of
ice cold
Old Style.
We leaned in and talked over the karaoke singers
catching up on a decade’s worth of history.
We went and had a smoke on the side of the building
came back inside
I sang ‘Mama Tried’, for old time’s sake.
After we paid the tab
we went back out
for another smoke
on the side of the building.
We had barely taken two drags of our cigarettes
when she started to say,
“Oh fuck it, let’s just get the awkward part out of—“
and I had already dropped my cigarette
both my hands
holding just behind her neck
as we kissed again
practically just melting into one another.
Her hand gripping into the back of my greasy hair
the two of us just going at it
like two teenagers at the drive-in.
Our hands grabbed onto one another
pulling closer
wanting to feel more.
“So…what are we gonna do about this?”
She asked, knowing damn well, I lived with my Mother
and didn’t have a private place for us to go.
I almost panicked.
Well
then I did.
So I said,
“Well, uh…what’s up with that backseat?” I asked.
“In my Mom’s car?” She said, laughing.
Then she made eye contact with me again
and I could see her now giving it
serious consideration.
I pulled her close to me
and kissed her again.
She sighed in my arms
and said,
“Okay, but where are we gonna park?”
I smiled.
“I know, just the place.”
Two miles away
we parked it in front of
my Father’s house
and jumped into the backseat.
We stripped off every article of clothing
and got right to it.
We eventually settled on
cowgirl
and I think that was a very
good choice
given our location.
When we finished
we lay naked
in the backseat for a moment
just panting and trying to catch our breath.
The back windows were all fogged up.
I laughed. “Oh shit. Fuckin’ Titanic…”
She smeared the fog on the window with her hand.
We both laughed
and kissed once more.
Two days later and she went back to Oregon
but we kept in touch
texting here and there
gradually, getting more and more
frequent and regular.
Sometimes she’d had a few at the bar
or would be on a really bad date
providing me with her commentary
throughout the day
and into some late nights.
Some of these late night texts
got pretty personal and real.
We vented and confided in one another.
It was really nice.
I really liked her.
So that made it that much more tempting
to go up North for a visit.
I found tickets
round-trip
for under two hundred bucks
and I bought em’.
The next three weeks
we were talking even more
all the time.
The days leading up my leaving
seemed to drag endlessly.
Even my co-workers knew how excited I was
the day I was set to leave
I was at work
the Dispatching Office
of an Auto Glass supplier
and my co-worker, Walter
a real funny Columbian guy
says,
“Hey, did you guys hear on the news today, they were saying how all
the flights to Portland were cancelled?”
I looked up for a split second, in panic
then saw the grin on his face
and we all laughed,
“Get outta here, foo!”
I said, almost blushing.
She got lost coming to pick me up
from the airport.
Wrong level.
I stood holding my bag over my shoulder
looking for a Subaru
but they were all Subaru’s.
She pulled up and I threw that bag down
like I had just come home from War
and I even kissed her like it too.
Time came to a slow crawl
our lips took their time
our arms were finally filled
with the one we wanted.
Then we were going down the freeway
I looked out the window
and marveled at all the
green.
“Holy shit! Look at those trees!”
I shouted, with all the wonder and excitement of a boy.
She laughed and drove me to her neighborhood bar
where we got a drink
met some people that she knew
and then went to her place.
The incline on the road up the driveway
was so steep
felt like going up a rollercoaster.
Almost like an omen
that rushing feeling in my gut
as the car accelerated up
into the driveway
stopping hard
just in front of the garage.
This was about to be
one helluva ride
but I had no idea
nothing could have prepared me
for what was about to take place
in that house
in her room
and on that bed.
And I’m not just talking about sex
I’m talking about all those
little moments in-between.
The looks
the talks
the kissing
holding onto each other in our sleep
we just connected on this whole
new level
and I think it scared the shit
out of both of us,
if I’m being honest.
Three days in
and I start getting these urges to say, ‘I love you’.
My brain began to argue with my heart
My brain screamed, “YOU DON’T WANT TO SAY THAT! ARE YOU CRAZY?!”
but my heart said, “I think, I do…”
So I said something about it.
How I was having to stop myself from
just blurting out, ‘I love you.’
She was crying
sad that I was leaving
and also just trying to process
or even
rationalize
these thoughts & feelings that she was having.
But she said it back to me.
Maybe even tried to save face a little later, saying,
“But love can mean many different things…”
“Yeah, yeah, totally…”
I agreed, lying.
We were both lying
more to ourselves than to each other.
By the time I landed back in Phoenix though
we both just came clean.
Confessed & pledged our love for each other.
And now it’s been one week since I got back
and she’s already planning another trip down  here
in a couple weeks
for a little weekend rendezvous
in a small desert town
away from everyone and everything else
just the two of us.
In May, she’ll come visit again
and then in the summertime
I’ll go see Oregon with her.
We’re making plans
we’re taking chances
but we’re doing it.
We’re the kind of people
that go for what they want
and what we want is each other.
So here we go.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home