Monday, March 24, 2014

Hank William's Number One Fan


I've been working at this nursing home for two months now
and I've gotta tell somebody
about the shit I see
everyday.
On the first floor of assisted living
lives Beverly Burry.
A short, big, blind, chubby lady
with round chipmunk cheeks and coke bottle glasses.
She speaks in a shaky little voice
will wail & scream in such a ghastly way
you'd think someone was murdering her.
She wakes up and clicks her little call button
if someone isn't there within a couple minutes
she starts screaming.
Her roommate just moved to a different room 
because she hadn't slept in three days.
Since she got back from the hospital, Beverly screams
every night. 
Next to photos of her family 
are two 8x10's of ole' Hank Williams himself
The King of Country Music.
I couldn't believe my eyes.
Hank obviously meant a lot to her.
I felt the same way.
He's like a wise guide
on the lost highway.
"Miss Beverly, you like Hank Williams?"
"Oh yes, I do! I love Hank Williams. You know, he drank a lot of alcohol and died a very young man."
"Yes Ma'am. I know it. I love Hank too."
"You do?" She gasped, like she really couldn't believe it.
"Sure do."
"You know, he was a very sad man. He was depressed too, but he gave us all he had. In those songs. You can feel it."
She was blind so she didn't say anything
when little teardrops started to fall from my eyes
it's just so great to hear another person say 
what I feel for Hank.
And an eighty year-old lady at that.
I've tried to stump her on Hank lyrics
but so far, she knows em' all.
Every word, to every song.
Thing is, if I start singing one of his songs
Beverly will join in and won't stop singing
until the end of the song.
Her voice is shaky and strained
but the old gal really puts feeling into it
and I always enjoy hearing her.
Sometimes when another caregiver has her floor
and I'm working upstairs
I'll come down
go into her room
where they'll be putting her in bed
and I'll start singing a Hank song.
The other caregiver will give me a look
like I'm an asshole
and I kinda am
cause I just walk right out of there
and go back upstairs.
Hearing Beverly moaning the long gone lonesome blues 
on my way.
There is talk of moving her to the dementia/Alzheimer's
lock down ward
where her wailing screams
will blend in with the other screams
and where she won't bother anyone
anymore.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home