Monday, April 13, 2020

Paid Leave

Ever since the Coronavirus hit
and became a major threat to public health
I've been calling out sick from work.
It's a pretty cushy job with
The U.S. Census Bureau
in a giant call center in Tempe.
But somehow, the very idea
of sitting in giant room
with 200 plus 
people seated in cubicals 
all packed together
breathing the same recycled air
for eight hours a day
seemed like a quick way to get infected.
And as of recently,
I've been staying with my Mother
who has a compromised immune system
and would most likely die, if she caught it.
So for the past five days
I've called in sick to work.
Well, today was payday
my first check and I desperately needed it.
Penny in HR told me, that checks would be distributed outside the building.
I got there 
in blue latex gloves and medical face mask
and there was no one outside, no checks being passed out.
Reluctantly, I went inside and whattya know
they're passing out checks in the 
motherfuckin' break room.
A long line of people
snaking all around the room and down the hall.
Nearly 200 people, standing shoulder to shoulder
all waiting to sign for their paycheck.
I stood in line
for maybe 8 minutes or so
getting stares from people
that weren't wearing gloves or a face mask.
A young black kid with dreads, said,
"Shit ain't that bad man. It's just the media."
I laughed under my blue mask
"Oh yeah? Hey, tell that to Italy and they're 4,000 dead. They don't even got room for all the dead bodies over there!"
I remembered, Penny from HR and said, fuck it.
I walked down the hall and into HR.
"Will you please get my check?"
Penny jumped up from her desk.
"Oh! Of course, I'm so sorry! Give me just a minute..."
Penny said, taking my driver's license from my already outstretched hand.
"You can wait in my office, if you like." She said, warmly.
"Thank you, but I think, it'll be best if I just don't touch anything." 
"Good point!"
And we both laughed nervously.
Two minutes later and she was back with my check.
"There you go and again, I am so sorry about that, Mr. Valdez."
"Thank you. I thought checks were going to be given outside?"
"Well, that's what I wanted to do, but...I was vetoed."
Penny said, with a defeated tone. I felt bad for her.
She seemed like a genuine and good person.
I walked out of there
knowing damn well
that I'd never set foot in that building ever again.
One week later
and they shut down the call center.
'Closed for disinfecting, until further notice'
There's a lot of rumors out there
that President Trump 
will declare martial law
and a complete lock down
before the end of the week.
Or maybe he won't.
Who fucking knows?
Each morning
I awaken to the horrors of
this ever changing world
with this ever worsening virus
all this bad news
brought to me
by the innocent blue glow
of my goddamn cellphone.
What a world.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home