Monday, March 24, 2014

Strange Love at a Depeche Mode Concert

She walked on by
our eyes locking onto each other
her in a Bauhaus shirt
covered in tattoos
one of the many cougars there
at the Depeche Mode show.
"Holy shit. Did you see that vampire walk by?" I asked, my pal Louie
and big & tall Crustpunk kid
"No. Who?"
We both turned around and she was standing behind us
staring right at me
her friend next to her looking over too.
Louie and I turned around.
"You should go say what's up." Louie said.
"Ha! Yeah....I should. I'll be right back."
Normally, I wouldn't have done anything
but I had just chugged a beer and nothing mattered.
I walked right up to her
the lady watching every step I took.
All I had to go on was the Bauhaus shirt.
It was something.
"So did you see Peter Murphy when he came here?"
"No! I missed him, actually!"
"Oh, me too! Hi, I'm Danny."
And I was in.
But
and it's a big but
about two minute into talking
she reaches out and grabs my Saint Christopher necklace.
I immediately went,
"Oh no, no, no. I'm not--I'm not one of those people. I'm not religious or anything."
"You mean, you're not a believer?" She asked. Dead serious & shit.
"Me? No. No way."
"Oh. Well, you should be. Through Him all things are possible." And she smiled.
My skin was crawling. I felt dirty.
Then the party got even dirtier.
They both walked off to the restrooms.
"Dude! That chick's married!" Louie, yell-whispered to me.
"Damn! For real?!"
"Yeah, that's what her friend said!"
'"Shit!"
"Fuck it!" Louie said, laughing.
"FUCK IT!"
When they got back
she leaned into me, her head on my arm.
I looked down at her
she was real tiny & petite
and she looked up, flashed those big brown eyes
goddamn
she grabbed my hand and wrapped my arm around her.
Then they started playing 'Never Let Me Down'
and everyone just lost it, even her, saying, this was her song.
When she looked back up at me again
with that look.
Like she hadn't been touched in a hundred years.
So I kissed her. I remember being surprised at what a good kisser she was.
'I'm taking a ride with my best friend'
I could practically feel her melt in my arms
as we kept kissing
right in the middle of the crowd.
Not giving a fuck.
After the show
she gave me her card with her name on it.
She was a hairstylist.
I found it in a drawer while I was cleaning the other day.
I'll never see her again
and she'll keep running the women's group
at her church
Wednesdays & Sundays.
And she'll wreck herself with guilt
about that one night
at Depeche Mode.
Her little secret
that taste of strangelove
when she gave in to sin
but hey
you've got make this life
livable. 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home